Fighting for education.
This last weekend I spent in Washington DC with over 300 student leaders from colleges and universities from all over the nation. We attended the United States Student Association Legislative Conference to learn how to be better contributors to our nation. We as student are outraged that student debt has reached over ONE TRILLION dollars (more than credit card debt in this country) and feel education has fallen behind on our nations priorities. So, Monday the students of USSA representing over 400 college/universities and 4 million students across the nation stood in solidarity outside the offices of Sallie Mae- the nations largest profiteer off of student debt. We then proceeded to meet with the representatives and senators and their staff from our respective states to lobby and have discussions around making education a priority.
“We’re demanding that students get bailed out, just like the banks and corporations did,” says USSA. “If they are too big to fail, so is an entire generation of college graduates.” -More here
United States Student Association- education is a right! (Taken with instagram)
My friendships mean the world to me. They have really held me up these last few weeks when I felt I had no energy to stand up. So thank you for being the reason I can get up in the morning when sometimes you feel like the world just weighs you down.
Lara Logan and Radiohead
So I am fortunate to have opportunities to host Lara Logan and see Radiohead (my favorite band) but unfortunately they are both on the same night. Meet the foreign correspondant for CBS
Lara Logan: CBS Foreign Correspondant
- One of the world’s most prominent journalists!
- Has reported for Fox/SKY, CBS News, ABC News, NBC, CNN and the European Broadcast Union.
- In February of 2011 she was sexually assaulted while reporting in Egypt after Mubarak’s resignation. She proceeded to speak about the incident on 60 Minutes and was criticized for breaking the silence aboutwomen and sexual assaults in the field of journalism.
- Thom Yorke- no word to be said except AMAZING!
- Lotus Flower
a refreshing watch. might be one of my new favorites.
"Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it."
TAKE BACK OUR CAMPUS- CU Boulder Protest
Colorado Daily (Photos)
Declaration of Human Rights
1) Mandatory Anti-oppression trainings for all students, staff, faculty and administration-current and incoming
2) Outreach and retention services for faculty and students of marginalized communities
3) Mandate all faculty and staff to update syllabi to include updated discrimination and harassment policy and require use of student’s preferred pronouns in the classroom
4) Approval of Ethnic Studies PHD Program
5) Re-evaluate CUSG autonomy agreement –necessity for checks and balances
6) No tuition increase next year beyond adjustment to inflation
7) Addition of 1 or 2 students to the Board of Regents as voting members (undergrad and grad)
8) Increase support and services for International Students
9) Actively pursue legislation that supports Federal funding to financial aid
10) Actively pursue legislation that supports student debt forgiveness
11) Keep 12 credits as the standard for students to be full time, do NOT increase to 15 credits
12) Keep 15+ credits free for all students
13) Change standard of admissions to reflect the demographics of the state of Colorado
14) Actively recruit and hire more faculty and staff who identify with marginalized communities
15) Accept requests for literature and art classes that are non-Euro Centered
16) Reevaluate ODECE and its effectiveness by our own standards
17) Support the appointment of students to the Boulder Campus Planning Commission to modify building code to include appropriate gender inclusive spaces in all new or renovated buildings on campus
1) A public response that you received these demands along with a plan of action by Friday, March 9th at 5pm
Just got into my study abroad program in Argentina for fall next year. Cannot wait to start the next big adventure of my life. Now starts the planning to see South America with my friends Danielle and Jessi- first on the horizon is Machu Pichu and Patagonia
no words to be said but KONY2012
#imagination (Taken with instagram)